Beginning June 18, Pizza Hut will sell a large pie with 28 hot dog bites baked into the crust. The picture says almost everything, folks.
Here's the rest: One large Hot Dog Bites Pizza comes with a side of yellow mustard and costs $11.99. Does the mustard go on the pizza? Not necessarily; it's really for dipping 'dogs.
The wacky new item is just one in a series of headline-making food items and social strategies from the Plano-based corporation. Remember these?
- Pizza Hut turns a pizza box into a movie projector
- Pizza Hut warns against the dangers of selfie sticks
- Pizza Hut nabs Tony Romo to star in a Super Bowl commercial; secures an F-bombing Blake Shelton for a BBQ pizza ad
- Pizza Hut offers Uber-like mapping system to track your pie
- Pizza Hut does a chocolate chip cookie pizza
- Pizza Hut says it could cut your pizza with a sword but tells you not to try it at home
Doug Terfehr, director of public relations for the Plano company, says the Hot Dog Bites Pizza -- and all of the odder innovations -- are all about "wanting to provide experiences you can't get elsewhere."
"If you like to explore food, this product is for you," he says.
The item debuts just before the official start of summer, June 21, and not far from the hot dog's unofficial national holiday, the Fourth of July. If a hot dog pizza sounds oddly familiar, it's because Pizza Hut launched a similar pie in the U.K. a few years back. At that time, the 'dogs were woven into the pizza crust instead of sticking out of it.
Speaking of hot dogs in places they don't belong, have you see this new hot-dog-in-a-doughnut called the American Dream?