In addition to the Big Tex Choice Awards at the State Fair of Texas -- lovingly considered the most interesting and eye-popping set of new foods -- the fair allows concessionaires to roll out other new foods that didn't get as a big of a spotlight.
Find the list of Big Tex Choice Awards here. (You'll want to take a peek; it includes a queso-bacon burger with funnel cakes for buns and other culinary giants.) Or, if you're a purist, find our list of four essential State Fair of Texas foods, like the perfectly simple corny dog.
Or, take a peek at the other new foods you can expect at the State Fair. We've added explanations to some of the more obscure ones:
- Fried Mango Loco at Fruteria Cano: Mango slices get deep-fried in a brown-sugar-crusted pie crusted. They come topped with mango whipped cream, mango caramel and mango pieces.
- Jalapeno Popcorn at Pioneer Kettle Korn
- Pineapple Float at Pineapple Man
- Chicken Fried Spam Fries at Stiffler's Sweet Spot
- Caramel Sea Salt Beer at Stiffler's Sweet Spot
- Deep Fried Slovacek's Garlic Pepper Jack Sausage Wrapped with Bacon on a Stick at Darn Good Corn
- Crabmeat Jalapeno Poppers and Chicken Jalapeno Poppers at Villa's Seafood Village
- Veggie Hot Dog at Lone Star Pizza
- Spicy Garlic Fries at Stuffed Wings
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Mozzarella Cheese by Old Mill Inn Restaurant
- Shrimp Po Boy with Siracha Cilantro Aioli by Old Mill Inn Restaurant
- Grilled Chicken Burrito by Old Mill Inn Restaurant
- Turkey Caesar Wrap by Old Mill Inn Restaurant
- Fried Cheesecake Stuffed Apple Sundae at Ms. Ruth's
- Dreamy Drunken Sopapilla Cheesecake Bar at Chef Cassy's Creations
- Crawfish Lollipop at Benavides Nachos
- Fried Arroz Con Pollo at Ranchero Norteno
- Oreo Beer at Barrera's: This beer is an American milk stout with an Oreo cookie floating on top. The cup is rimmed with Oreo cream filling and chocolate Oreo bits. Its creator says the beer has essences of "vanilla, brown sugar and cream, with hints of roasted coffee."
- Tipsy Topsy Catfish on a Stick at Chef Cassy's Creations
- Cajun Fried Devil Eggs at Larry's Bar & Grill
- Deep Fried Root Beer Float with Dragon's Breath by Scrumbscious Pie Company: Root beer ice cream is rolled in crushed graham cracker crumbs, then fried and topped with root beer butterscotch sauce. A Root Beer Pop Tart comes on top, plus cereal puffs infused with liquid nitrogen -- a.k.a., Dragon's Breath.
- Fried El Paso at Trio on the Green: Pork carnitas and bacon-jalapeno cheese gets stuffed in a poblano pepper, then deep fried.
- Beer Battered Beef Jerky at Crazy Otto's