Arlington may not be home to North Texas' most popular music venues, but every summer dozens of nationally-renown bands play there, often times for free.
The Levitt Pavilion for the Performing Arts recently announced the lineup for its 10th annual summer concert series, which will feature the sounds of New Orleans' original Rebirth Brass Band, local singer/songwriter Sarah Jaffe and guitar virtuoso Junior Brown, among others.
Concerts take place at 8 or 8:30 p.m. on most Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from May 19 to July 23. The Levitt Pavilion concert series regularly attracts about 120,000 people to downtown Arlington and attendees are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs, coolers and picnics. Food is also available for purchase onsite.
Here's the 2017 lineup:
- May 19: Rebirth Brass Band
- May 20: Ambrosia
- May 21: Bleu Edmondson
- May 26: Sarah Jaffe
- May 27: Jonathan Tyler
- May 28: La Tropa F
- June 2: Humming House
- June 3: Uncle Lucius
- June 4: American Jazz Composers Orchestra plays Stevie Wonder
- June 9: Bri Bagwell and Reckless Kelly
- June 10: Orleans and the Gibbonses
- June 11: Black Violin and Dylan Chambers
- June 16: Patrice Pike
- June 17: Prophets and Outlaws
- June 18: Los TexManiacs with Flaco Jimenez
- June 30: Sombody's Darling
- July 1: Ray Wylie Hubbard
- July 2: Jaime y Los Chamacos
- July 7: The Unlikely Candidates
- July 8: Walt Wilkins and the Mystiqueros
- July 9: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Bluegrass Band
- July 14: Jason Eady
- July 15: The Suffers
- July 16: Terri Hendrix and Lloyd Maines
- July 21: The Drifters
- July 22: Junior Brown
- July 23: Shinyribs
In addition to the free shows, the Levitt Pavilion, which is one of several nationwide opened by the Mortimer and Mimi Levitt Foundation, hosts a fundraiser on June 23 with Texas country singers Robert Earl Keen and Cody Morrow. Tickets to that event cost $35 for general admission or $65 for reserved seating. Concert-goers will not be permitted to bring chairs, food or beverage. Instead the venue is providing seating for all ticket holders and food and beverages can be purchased onsite.
The Levitt Pavilion also hosts kid-friendly movie nights on select Thursdays throughout the summer. See the calendar here.
Want more music? Check out the latest sounds at GuideLive.com/music.
CORRECTION, 2:52 p.m., May 18, 2017: An earlier version of this story said the Robert Earl Keen fundraiser was on July 23. It takes place on June 23.