Texas Live!, the new entertainment district flanking the new baseball field at Globe Life Park in Arlington, will have a little bit of football flair when it opens this summer.
Legendary Dallas Cowboys quarterback and Hall of Fame inductee Troy Aikman is opening a proprietary bar and restaurant there, fittingly called Troy's. The concept was announced Tuesday during a media tour of the construction site.
Aikman said he'd been thinking about get into the restaurant business for a while and looking for "something I could put my name on."
"This was inspired by a lot of the great Texas beer halls," Aikman said of the 10,000-square-foot space. Plans include an outdoor patio and beer garden, areas inside and outside for live music, and, of course, a dining room with big-screen TVs so guests can watch sports games.
"Can't have a restaurant with my name on it and not have some big screens to watch games, especially games I'm broadcasting," he said.
Aikman helped develop the food menu, which will focus primarily on gourmet burgers as well as some healthy bowls and a spinach-artichoke dip inspired by a recipe from his wife, Capa. As far as drinks, Troy's will serve margaritas and several beers on tap, including Aikman's favorite.
"I'm a Miller Lite guy," he said. "I like a lot of different beer, but for the record, I'm going to stick with Miller Lite."
Though the restaurant literally has the football player's name on it, fans shouldn't expect much memorabilia adorning the walls.
"It isn't a shrine to my stuff or my career," Aikman said. But he's not ruling out the possibility that famous faces might stop by.
"I'm still friends with all those guys," he said of his former teammates. "So I sure hope they do."
Troy's is expected to open in late August or early September alongside numerous other bars, restaurants and live music venues at Texas Live!. The $250 million project encompasses 200,000 square feet of real estate adjacent to where the new field at Globe Life Park is expected to open in 2020.
Here's what else is to come:
- The Live! Arena, a two-story area with large TV screens that can be retracted to reveal a stage for live music
- PBR Cowboy Bar, a bar with mechanical bulls
- The Arlington Backyard, a space for 5,000 people to enjoy food, drinks and games. It will also offer views of the field.
- A to-be-announced restaurant concept from TV personality Guy Fieri
- Lockhart Smokehouse, a popular Dallas barbecue joint
- Sports and Social Arlington, an interactive area that includes what's being billed as Rangers Republic, which will feature team memorabilia
- Live! by Lowes, a hotel with a brewery, Revolver Brewing, on the first floor that's expected to open in 2019