Just a few years ago, North Texas was barely on the craft beer map. Now there's plenty to brag about, including a recent win at an international beer competition.
Garland's Lakewood Brewing Co. garnered second place at the U.S. Open Beer Championship, earning six medals across an estimated 90 categories of beer. The brewery was second only to Ballast Point Brewing Co. in San Diego.
Lakewood Brewing founder Wim Bens said this is not only a win for his staff, but for Lone Star beer as a whole. Texas brought home 25 medals overall.
"It's nice for our guys in the back of the house to be recognized for their hard work," Bens said. "We're making world class beer in Texas, and it's great for the entire industry and it's great for Texas."
Breweries worldwide entered 4,000 beers and ciders for judgement. Winners were determined by a total number of points based on how their beers ranked (first place was weighted more heavily than second, third, fourth and fifth).
Here's the breakdown for Lakewood's honors:
- Gold for Saint Dymphna (Belgian Tripel category)
- Silver for Till & Toil (French/Belgian saison)
- Silver for Lakewood Lager (Marzen/Oktoberfest)
- Silver for Rock Ryder (American wheat)
- Silver for Bourbon Barrel Tempress (Wood/Barrel-aged strong beer)
- Bronze for Brado's Cut (Aged beer)
Pedernales Brewing Co. out of Fredricksburg, which earned three awards, placed 10th in the competition overall. Peticolas Brewing Co. in Dallas earned a judge's pick for its Sit Down or I'll Sit You Down imperial IPA. Check out the other North Texas operations that placed below.
Cobra Brewing Co.
- Silver for Best Mistake Stout (American stout)
Community Beer Co.
- Bronze for Public Ale (English-style bitter)
- Silver for Inspiration (Belgian Quadrupel)
Peticolas Brewing Co.
- Silver for Sledge Hammer (Barley wine)
- Silver for Great Scot! (Scottish ale)
- Bronze for Royal Scandal (English pale ale)
- Bronze for Irish Goodbye (Irish red ale)
- Bronze for Velvet Hammer (Imperial red ale)
Rahr & Sons Brewing Co.
- Gold for Ugly Pug (Schwarzbier)
- Silver for Visionary 2015 (Smoked/Rauch beer)
Shannon Brewing Co.
- Gold for Chocolate Stout (Cream stout)