The State Fair of Texas? More like Flavortown, USA. Food Network personality Guy Fieri took his first trip to the State Fair of Texas on Wednesday, and we were there to watch.
The California chef chatted with a crowd of several hundred people during a kids' cooking competition at the State Fair of Texas. He ribbed the audience, as he's known to do, but he also served as a gracious, fun host for a crowd of adoring fans. He didn't call anything "gangsta!" The spiky-haired chef told stories about visiting his first Buc-ee's in Texas -- and, yup, he loved it.
Then he sat down for a one-on-one interview with us.
He seems to love Dallas restaurants. "You've got such a great culinary scene going on ... People should be going to get gym memberships because the food's that good," Fieri says.
Hear Guy Fieri talk about filming Diners-Drive-Ins and Dives in Dallas (and not visiting Big Tex):
Let's boil this down, y'all.
- This week, Fieri spent several days secretly filming Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, the TV show that made him famous for his catchphrases and for his travels across the country. More Dallas restaurants on TV? That's a win.
- That competition he was judging at the State Fair was a kids' barbecue contest at which three kids between the ages of 10 and 13 cooked a dish in front of a State Fair audience in 30 minutes. Fieri believes in teaching your kids to cook, as evidenced by his CWK Foundation (Cooking with Kids). All three kids won free vacations on Carnival Cruise Line. They were shocked at the prize, and it was adorable.
- Fieri didn't have time to eat a corny dog. You've gotta understand: Famous TV guy who visits a massively crowded event does not get to stand in line like a "regular guy" and buy a Fletcher's Corny Dog. We'll forgive him that one.
- And, Fieri didn't know who Big Tex was. ("Is he human?" he asked.) We explained the big guy to Guy. Maybe he'll get that Big Tex selfie next time.
Going to the State Fair of Texas? Some tips:
- How to get cheap tickets
- 4 essential State Fair of Texas foods
- How to survive the fair with little kids in tow
- Definitive list of best and worst foods at the State Fair of Texas
- Best bars at the fair
- How to get free Fletcher's corny dogs
- Why is Guy Fieri going to be at the State Fair?
- And anything else about the fair you could possibly think of.