Whataburger on Wednesday unveiled new menu items -- Spicy Strawberry biscuits chicken and sausage biscuits.
The new selection is your basic chicken or sausage buttermilk biscuit slathered with strawberry jam with a light hint of jalapeño. Fans can also sub the buttermilk biscuit for a jalapeño cheddar biscuit to up the spice factor.
As a meal or a la carte, the biscuits are available from 11 p.m. to 11 a.m. If you're late for breakfast and you must have strawberry jam with jalapeño, numerous recipes are a click away.
Other fast-food places trying seasonal items:
- Strawberries also have a presence at Wendy's, which will offer its Strawberry Mango Chicken Salad through Sept. 4, Labor Day. The salad includes chunks of strawberries, mango, feta cheese and sunflower seeds on a bed of greens. The dressing is the Marzetti-brand Simply Dressed Honey Citrus Vinaigrette.
- A few weeks ago, Chick-fil-A introduced its Smokehouse BBQ Bacon Sandwich and Watermelon Mint Lemonade in restaurants nationwide. They'll be available through Aug. 19. The sandwich features Chick-fil-A's grilled chicken with new ingredients, including bacon coated in a brown sugar pepper sauce. The sandwich is completed with a Hawaiian-style bun with Colby Jack cheese, green leaf lettuce and a proprietary smokehouse sauce. The Watermelon Mint Lemonade is just that: a drink with watermelon and mint flavors.
- For those who want to drink their breakfast, Burger King introduced its new Lucky Charms milkshake a few weeks ago. The shake features sweet syrup, Lucky Charms cereal, marshmallows and vanilla soft serve. Already, Burger King sells a Froot Loops shake.
- Dunkin' Donuts also introduced its Frozen Coffee, swapping it for the Coffee Coolatta. In a media day event at Dunkin' Donut headquarters in May, company execs admitted that the Coolatta wasn't up to Dunkin' Donut standards. The Frozen Coffee, with lower amounts of calories and sugar, is intended to win over regular coffee drinkers looking for a warm-weather caffeine fix.
- One promotion that's expired, but sounded interesting: Arby's Liger Shake. The shake was a cross between Arby's Ultimate Chocolate Shake and the Orange Cream Shake joined by stripes of Ghirardelli chocolate sauce. It really sounds like something Napoleon Dynamite would've enjoyed. Dang!