If you want a list of must-see new restaurants in the United States, a good place to look is the James Beard Awards' list of best new restaurants. This year, the lauded Stephan Pyles Flora Street Cafe at Hall Arts -- in the Dallas Arts District -- was listed as a semifinalist.
If you want a shortlist of some of Dallas-Fort Worth's best chefs, the Best Chef: Southwest list is a goodie.
The James Beard Awards' semifinalist list came out on Feb. 15. In addition to honoring chefs and restaurants, it also names notable bar programs, pastry chefs and more.
This year, one restaurant, four Dallas chefs and one pastry chef made the semifinalist list.
Best new restaurant (this is the big one!):
- Stephan Pyles Flora Street Cafe at Hall Arts, chef Stephan Pyles' new, fine-dining restaurant in the Dallas Arts District
Semifinalists for Best chef: Southwest from Dallas:
This list names the most notable chefs from six states -- Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah. Texas dominated, with 10 of the 20 chefs hailing from the Lone Star State. Here are the Dallas chefs:
- Omar Flores, of Casa Rubia in West Dallas' Trinity Groves
- Teiichi Sakurai, of Tei-An in One Arts Plaza
- John Tesar, of Knife in Dallas
- David Uygur, of Lucia in the Bishop Arts District
Semifinalists for Outstanding Pastry Chef from Dallas
- Maggie Huff, FT33 in the Dallas Design District
The James Beard Awards are like the Oscars of the restaurant world. The names on the 2017 semifinalists lists were chosen from 24,000 online entries, according to a statement. The final nominees will be awarded on March 15, 2017.