Take one look at the James Beard Foundation Awards nominees, and you'll have a great list of restaurants around the country where you can blow some big money on great food. That list won't include any stops in Dallas, though, as North Texas chefs and restaurants were shut out of this year's nominations. Sad.
Of the Best Chef: Southwest category (which includes restaurants in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah), finalists are:
- Kevin Binkley, Binkley's, Cave Creek, AZ
- Aaron Franklin, Franklin Barbecue, Austin
- Bryce Gilmore, Barley Swine, Austin
- Hugo Ortega, Hugo's, Houston
- Martín Rios, Restaurant Martín, Santa Fe, NM
- Justin Yu, Oxheart, Houston
You can take this information one of two ways: 1, Austin and Houston are winning in this year's imaginary Lone Star State food race; or 2, It's time for a delicious road trip.
Winners will be announced May 4 in Chicago.