The 50th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards are just days from taking over AT&T Stadium and surrounding venues in Arlington. If you were lucky enough to get tickets to the awards show, Party for a Cause, or one of the other star-studded events, well good for you. The rest of us will be enjoying the action from the comfort of our homes -- and home bars.
Who needs mediocre draft beer? Saddle up with these six country music-inspired cocktails during the ACM Awards show, which airs Sunday, April 19 at 7 p.m.
For everything you need to know about the awards show weekend, including who is playing each event, visit our ACM Awards hub here.
1. How We Roll-rita (courtesy of Sauza Tequila)
- 2 parts Sauza Blue Silver Agave Tequila
- ½ parts fresh lemon juice
- ¼ parts agave nectar
- ¼ parts ginger syrup
- 1 tsp. puréed canned chipotle in adobe
- ½ lime, quartered lengthwise
- 1 strip red bell pepper for garnish
- 1 small piece beef jerky for garnish
In a cocktail shaker, combine lemon juice, agave nectar, ginger syrup, chipotle purée, and lime wedges. Then add 1 small cup of cubed ice and pour in tequila. Stir. Pour into a cocktail glass and garnish with bell pepper and beef jerky. To make your own ginger syrup, boil 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water with one 2-inch piece of peeled and smashed ginger for 5 minutes. Strain and refrigerate.
2. Chillie Nelson (created exclusively for GuideLive by JEM Beverage Co.)
- 2 oz. Western Son Original vodka
- 1/2 oz. oregano simple syrup
- 3 oz. grapefruit juice
- Splash of club soda
Pour all ingredients into a Collins glass filled with ice. To make your own oregano simple syrup, boil 1/4 cup of water with 2 tablespoons for sugar and a generous three-finger pinch of fresh oregano.
3. The Cowgirl Cocktail (courtesy of Cookin' Cowgirl)
- 6 mint leaves
- 2 huge lime wedges
- 1 packet sweetener
- 1 1/2 oz. clear rum
- 1/2 oz. Chambord
- 1 cup club soda
- Pink sanding sugar sprinkles or pomegranate rimmer
Dip rim of glass in water and rim with sugar sprinkles. Put mint leaves, sweetener and lime juice in glass and muddle until mint leaves are slightly broken up. Pour in rum and Chambord and stir. Fill glass with ice and top with club soda. Garnish with lime wedge. To make the Cowgirl Cocktail by the pitcher, see the recipe to scale here.
4. Midnight Cowboy (courtesy of Absolut)
- 1 parts bourbon
- 2 parts Jamaican dark rum
- 1 part cream
Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add all ingredients. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
5. Southern Sweet Tea-quila (courtesy of Sauza Tequila)
- 1 ½ parts Sauza Blue Reposado Agave Tequila
- 2 black tea bags
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
In a medium saucepan bring water, tea bags and sugar to a rolling boil. Stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove tea bags and allow tea to chill in refrigerator. When the tea is cool, add the tequila. Pour over ice and garnish with a sprig of mint.
6. Stumbling Cowboy (recipe by Freddy Smalls via LA Magazine)
- 1.5 parts rye whiskey
- 1 part sarsaparilla syrup
- 1 part club soda
Combine all ingredients in chilled Collins or Old Fashioned glass. Serve with lemon wedge and candied ginger for garnish.